Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Poetry That Otherwise Will Never Be Heard (for better or worse)




to Sh

THE FATAL HOUR

by Graham Swanson

 

I found you in the rivers at the bottom of your heart

A screw driver in your windpipe

I'll grab you by the roots of your hair and make you eat garbage

I walk in the daylight. Where else could you see me?

I walk in the middle of the day. Where else could you find me?

I know where you pray

I'll let the air out of your tires and hit you with a bike lock

I know where you sleep

I'll let everyman out of prison

I know what you love

I'll open every grave and swallow your children

I can see from here that you're all haunted

Some good. Some bad. 

When I sleep I see dead bodies

They are my dearest friends


I AM THE CRIMSON DRAGON THAT PULLS THE PALE MOON'S SILVER WAGON

Crossed by double silver handled twin daggers

Alone on my pedestal 

at the center of the world!


Drink the blood from my golden chalice

All your wishes will come true. 







THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CLOWNS AND JESTERS

by Graham Swanson


A Clown performs in the street

in the dirt

That's why he is dressed the way he is

To distract from the fact that he lives in the filth of Parisian streets.

A Jester, to the contrary, 

performs in the King's Court.

He is respected, noble. He knows the room

better than anyone. He knows

the secrets. He holds political power.

He whispers into the King's ear, and makes him laugh. No one

fucks with a jester. Because he will

Unviel them in front of the entire court.

In song. 

A Jester can SEND MEN to the dungeon.

A Clown watches the mirth of a castle from the cold alley ways.

When  YOU are alone in a dungeon-

when you're awoken by a rat gnawing

on your ankle bone

And all you had to eat is moldy bread,

it'll be the face-the mask- of a Jester smiling back at you.

The Clown, sad and lonely, plays sticks in the alley. He spins bottles, honks a horn.

The Jester sharpens a knife on his tie-

Shatters windshields with the sharp end of his cane.

A Clown stumbles into the frozen mud to chase a lost balloon

A Jester will laugh in your face because you will never know who he is.

A Clown slips and falls in horse shit.

A Jester will always be in the dungeon. Watching and laughing, making googly eyes, and inventing new ways to torment his prisoners.

A Clown sleeps in the cold, takes his wig off, his gloves off, and make up off.





I CAN'T FIND HAPPINESS

by Graham Swanson


It's okay to have feelings that *you* don't like

When I see a smile its a mask- I feel your sneer

those trees are prison bars

the sun shines with hate

and burns the supple flesh

Under that mask I see the scorchmarks of the sun

I see freckles, rashes, and cancer.

From wild Green hills to my hometown- it's a bus 

ride full of desperate fugitives escaping the ever 

widening void 

                    Ever hungrier- moving at the speed of

                    Light

They smile at me but think I am strange, crazy,

a serial killer- why- just ask them why? They shudder.

    I walk the streets alone in search of those neon

monsters of mirth and I drink believing merrymakers 

find happiness in the gas 

Only to discover adulterers, men who punch glass, and drug dealers. 

    I search the mist and alleyways for love. All I 

find are games of Russian Roullette

    Meth addicted, beautiful women- kiss me, then I drop them off at dark apartments or RVs

once the sun goes down

They are the Valentine's Day Muggers- we share

one similarity, that we'd rather find elusive death

yet something drags us forward into the dark-

with no hearts, we share a strange hour

Neither one is alone- yet crushed by the 

Moon, and joined by the chants of

10,000 screaming banshees

A heart beating in a drawer

Lungs wheezing in a glass

Smoke burning at midnight

swollen knuckles, fist warmed inside 

pockets.

    I am the man alone walking from alley to alley.

I cannot find happiness in this 

world.

    To me, its only a moment on TV

when they're trying to sell you shit

you don't need.

Or a moment when you get too drunk to remember

that you have work in the morning.

I walk between monsters and rows of dead stalks

I sleep in abandoned houses, 

and burn books to stay warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment